One of the biggest responsibilities that come with living a greener lifestyle is inspiring others to follow suit. One person alone cannot clean up the world; however, one person can inspire the movement that does. When it comes to inspiring positive change it has to start in your own household and it should include your kids. Children are the future stewards of the environment, so it is important to teach them the values of the eco-system so they will grow up with a natural affinity to protect and preserve it.
Inspiring your Kids to be Greener:
- Make Recycling Fun: First you must educate your children on the importance of recycling, let them know that by donating instead of trashing, they are helping to keep the environment clean and they are lessening the demand for virgin materials. You can make recycling fun by rewarding their efforts; by giving them kudos for a job well done, you will inspire them to do more.
- Buy them Green Playthings: Teach your kids the value of handmade and sustainable playthings, purchase dolls made from recycled plastic and refurbished woods and petroleum free crayons and markers.
- Garden with your Kids: Gardening with your children is a fun way to inspire sustainability; they would love the act of playing in dirt and watching the fruits of their labor grow.
- Introduce them to Nature: Children are born with a natural love for nature, nurture that love by visiting parks often and taking them on nature walks, bird watching, camping trips and star gazing.
- Buy all natural Everything: There are greener alternatives to almost everything you and your kids use in the home, buy all natural wherever it is possible so your kids grow up using them. You can find natural soaps, cleaners, laundry detergent, trash bags, toilet paper and a whole lot more.
- Play Green: There are a lot of resources available in the form of video games, movies and books that are catered to teaching sustainability to young kids, they are both fun and educational so you kids will enjoy while they learn.
- Volunteer with your Kids: Volunteering your time at kid friendly places such as animal shelters, museums and parks will teach your kids the importance of selflessness in a fun and exciting way.
The future of the environment is dependent upon today’s children. In order to secure a world that is clean, healthy and happy we have to teach our kids how to take care of it.